During the last Netflix Geeked Week, the US streaming giant has announced Junji Ito Maniac: Japanese Tales of the Macabre, a new anime based on the stories of the master of the horror manga Junji Ito. As already revealed, the series will debut in 2023, and will adapt 20 short stories by the Japanese author.
On the anime’s official website, they’ve been revealed 5 stories that will be adapted in Junji Ito Maniac, as well as a portion of the cast members. Here are the confirmed stories, followed by the original title and confirmed voice actors:
- The Strange Hikizuri Siblings: The Séance (Kaiki Hikizuri Kyōdai: Kōreikai), starring voiced by Takahiro Sakurai and Romi Park;
- Unbearable Labyrinth (Taegatai Meiro), with the protagonist voiced by Hisako Kanemoto;
- Long hair in the attic (Yaneura no Nagai Kami), which features Yoko Hikasa in the cast;
- La bulla (Ijimekko), in which Natsumi Takamori participates;
- Where the Sandman Lives (Suima no Heya).
Hopefully Junji Ito Maniac make its debut on time in 2023 as announced. Fans of the master of horror are now fed up with references, such as those that are characterizing the highly anticipated anime of Uzumaki, another very famous work by Junji Ito. Could 2023 be the golden year of the author on the screen? In the meantime, you could try to approach his stories with the collections of his stories, published in Italy by J-Pop manga.